Friday, March 6, 2009

Sacrifice for Lent

So I decided to give up Facebook for Lent. This is kind of a first for me because I've never really given up anything for Lent before. I like the general idea of making a sacrifice for Lent, but I could never think of a a suitable sacrifice. For me, the purpose of the sacrifice is to free up part of myself in order to have more to spend on Things that Matter. Sacrificing Facebook for Lent seemed like a really good idea back in mid-February. After all, I spend way too much time sending virtual flowers and chocolates to people when I should be writing/revising manuscripts or spending time with my husband and children. For the most part, I've really enjoyed having the extra time to read, think, and play. But not spending time on Facebook is proving to have its downside too. In the last few months I've reconnected with a lot of people who I had lost contact with. Sadly, when I chose to give up FB, I also gave up communicating with a lot of people. In short, I am glad that I have recovered some time for more important things, but I will be glad when I can get back on and see what everyone is up to. If you are reading this on Facebook (I have it set up to pick up my blog posts) please visit my real, actual blog to leave comments. Otherwise I won't see them until mid-April.

No comments: